BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cpool always empty?

2011-11-22 05:10:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cpool always empty?
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:07:51 +0700
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Bob Proulx <bob AT proulx DOT com> wrote:

> Obviously due to the advantages of a long term operating system release I
> would prefer to remain on the Debian Stable release.

I would advise continuing with Debian packaging system for all the
prerequisite "infrastructure" dependencies, but for BPC itself the
"installation from source" process is both easy and IMO pretty
bullet-proof, including future upgrades. Or using the package
management ability to pull just that one package from the "testing"
repo would also work fine, as long as you are/get familiar with how to
guard against dependency-hell confusion. . .

A completely separate point, but related - rather than messing with
changing TopDir or other config options in your BPC setup, I recommend
leaving everything where it wants to be and just using symlinks (or
fstab mountpoints) to point to wherever you'd like.

Related because doing it this way would allow you to stick to your old
BPC version and still put your folders wherever you like. . .

---------------------------------

Below is my own "experimentation", not something supported by the BPC
developers team nor even recommended by me without all the normal YMMV
disclaimers. . .

I use this method to duplicate the "old-school" setup of having
everything, including the configuration and log folders, under my
TopDir on a self-contained LV for maximum flexibility and portability,
and have successfully used this setup to move my BPC data set from one
host to another completely seamlessly, actually using it to rotate BPC
instances off-site, and have successfully restored using a LiveCD
running a completely different distro from the production host on a
spare user-desktop class PC available at the off-site location.

BackupPC rocks. . .