BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cpool always empty?

2011-11-21 14:02:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cpool always empty?
From: Bob Proulx <bob AT proulx DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:00:50 -0700
Bob Proulx wrote:
> When does BackupPC place files into the cpool directory?  I have a
> small test installation running several weeks and files appear in
> cpool.  I have a new production installation and over the last two
> weeks no files have ever appeared in cpool.  Shouldn't it contain at
> least some files?  I fear that I have something misconfigured.

Further investigation shows that BackupPC is throwing errors during
the link run.  Seeing many of these in the log file.  (It would be
great if errors like this were emailed to the admin as part of the
email notification from BackupPC.  I had not noticed them.)

  2011-11-21 06:01:57 BackupPC_link got error -4 when calling
MakeFileLink(/srv/backuppc/pc/vb/8/f%2ftask/fshome/fs_zunija/f.bashrc,
8b7ad36a20b66d59737cad5b86de1c3a, 1)

And apparently due to this it isn't de-duplicating.  This is that
example file from two different full backups.

  # ls -li pc/vb/*/f%2ftask/fshome/fs_zunija/f.bashrc
  17555973 -rw-r----- 1 backuppc backuppc 173 Nov 21 05:57
pc/vb/5/f%2ftask/fshome/fs_zunija/f.bashrc
  14591371 -rw-r----- 1 backuppc backuppc 104 Nov 21 05:57
pc/vb/8/f%2ftask/fshome/fs_zunija/f.bashrc

  # /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_zcat
pc/vb/5/f%2ftask/fshome/fs_zunija/f.bashrc | md5sum
  f119c865306c35e64eb00f65d7279664  -
  # /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_zcat
pc/vb/8/f%2ftask/fshome/fs_zunija/f.bashrc | md5sum
  f119c865306c35e64eb00f65d7279664  -

The file contents have not changed between the backups.  The md5sums
of the files are the same.  Apparently it tried to link but failed.  I
have placed the entire directory onto its own partition.  It is an
ext3 volume on lvm mounted (as suggested) with noatime.

Any idea what error -4 from MakeFileLink would suggest?

I am digging through the code now...

Bob