BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recovery from archive

2011-06-07 09:59:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recovery from archive
From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:57:45 +0100
Les Mikesell wrote:

>> I can see that I should save /etc/backuppc ,
>> but is it really necessary to save /var/lib/BackupPC/ ?
>> This seems to be exactly what BackupPC has archived,
>> and is almost the same size as the archive file
>> (48GB archive file against 34GB /BackupPC in my case).
>
> I don't understand a differences in size when you say they are linked.

/BackupPC is linked to /var/lib/BackupPC ;
the archive file is on my external disk:
48835580 -rw-r----- 1 backuppc backuppc
  50007623015 Jun  7 03:54 helen.481.tar.gz

>> (I have actually copied everything to another computer,
>> but that was just so I can copy back to another disk.)
>
> Did you copy in a way that preserves the hard links within the archive?

Yes, I started with "rsync -auvz" but found this was giving
an enormously large copy, much larger than the original.
So I changed to "rsync -auvzH" and now it is the same size.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net