BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recovery from archive

2011-06-07 07:45:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recovery from archive
From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:43:34 +0100
Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 01:34 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Is there any kind of BackupPC data on the machine itself
>> required for recovery of the archived material?
>
> If your installation is Ubuntu, you need:
>
> /etc/backuppc
> /var/lib/backuppc
>
> It's common to have the second of these on its own datastore. If you're
> replicating that elsewhere, or recovering the disks, also make sure you
> regularly backup /etc/backuppc as well.
>
> To recover the data, just install backuppc on the new server, and move
> those two directories to the same place.
>
> Other distros have similar directory structures.

I should have said that I am running CentOS-5.6 on my BackupPC machine.
Also /var/lib/BackupPC is linked to another partition /BackupPC .
I can see that I should save /etc/backuppc ,
but is it really necessary to save /var/lib/BackupPC/ ?
This seems to be exactly what BackupPC has archived,
and is almost the same size as the archive file
(48GB archive file against 34GB /BackupPC in my case).

(I have actually copied everything to another computer,
but that was just so I can copy back to another disk.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net