BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recovery from archive

2011-06-06 21:47:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recovery from archive
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 20:45:16 -0500
On 6/6/11 7:34 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I don't actually need this, fortunately,
> but I'm wondering if it is it possible to recover the material
> in a BackupPC archive on an external hard disk
> if the machine running BackupPC stops working?
>
> Is there any kind of BackupPC data on the machine itself
> required for recovery of the archived material?

Depending on when and how you installed, there may be bits and pieces in
different places.  If you used one of the distribution-packaged versions you
can
use the package tools to see where things land (e.g. rpm -q --list
packagename).
  One approach would be to make a similar installation under VMware player or
Virtualbox that you could fire up on about any hardware and connect the USB
device to the virtual machine when you need it.