BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-08 09:59:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Cesar Kawar <kawarmc AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 15:58:31 +0100
I do agree with the fact that any program must have a good documentation.
Without documentation, any work invested in developing any software is useless.
If no one can understand in an easy way what you've done, why did you do it?

but the point, in my humble opinion is: Do I have to target every single person
on earth when I'm going to write the documentation?

BackupPC is not targeted to the basic home user, it's focused on centrally
managed backups, and that's the typical installation for a company. It does not
matter if it is a big one o a home business. You at lease must know what is
this all about. It's like trying to sell an oscilloscope to a person who knows
nothing about electronics. You cannot just pick up any book on electronics or
electrical engineering, rewrite it and add it as the documentation for the
oscilloscope. The company that sells the equipment just "understands" you
already now the basics.

If you are going to make backups and the transfer method you choose is ssh, you
must know what ssh is and how it works, or you must grab some books on ssh and
learn their requirements, configuration, and what are those magical things
called public/private keys... It's like trying to figure out how much current
is crossing the circuit but you don't know what's a resistor.

Everything can be improved, but again, it would not be fair to blame the author
(Craig) for the job hi's done. I can only be grateful, and if someone has
something to argue, this is my advice: stop spending your time on writings
complaints on the mailing list and make something to improve the documentation
:P

Anyway, I want to thank you all because this is what makes OSS as great as it
is, everybody can speak and make things better,.

Cesar.