BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-08 21:32:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:31:05 +0700
Of course it "should" be!

Every child "should" have enough to eat and a good education too, but
few people live in an environment where they'd have the cheek to
demand it as if it's an inherent *right* - someone's got to develop
the skills and put in the time and effort to earn the money to make it
happen.

So of course every FOSS should have good docs - the question is
written by whom? In most cases the answer is - by the user community.
The developer's time is better spent actually working on the code.

It would be great if the developer(s) could facilitate - set up a
wiki, put good notes in the source code, be available to review for
accuracy, answer the more technical questions etc.

But on a small un-sponsored project, the developer has no "obligation"
to anyone to do anything - he's been so incredibly generous to share
the code he wrote to scratch his own itch, that the least the
freeloading users can do is contribute back where they can.

If a user wants to be able to be "demanding", then they should become
a donor/sponsor/paid customer of the project's development. Any
attitude of entitlement to free resources is not only selfish but
unrealistic.

All of this is just my opinion of course. . .