BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ext2 vs. ext3

2010-12-20 19:57:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ext2 vs. ext3
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:55:39 -0600
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Chris Baker <cbaker AT intera DOT com> wrote:
> I installed a new enclosure on our BackupPC server. It has 4 TB of space. I
> noticed that fdisk would not work with anything over 2048 GB. I thus ended
> using GNU Parted for my partitioning. I noticed that it would only let me
> use ext2.

That's strange. Were you using an old version? It should have given
you at least ext3 if not ext4 options. Either way you're not required
to use gparted for partitioning AND formatting. You can partition with
gparted and then format it however you want.

> Does it make a difference if I use ext2 or ext3? If so, how do I partition
> my drive in ext3?

ext2 is not journaled so I would at least use ext3. At this point ext4
is pretty stable. I use it on my BackupPC server (really all of my
computers including a MythTV box). Of course I just use BackupPC in a
home environment to backup home directories, pictures, and music.