BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need help with automating Windows client deployments & handling the file lock backup problem with open files

2010-12-20 15:35:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need help with automating Windows client deployments & handling the file lock backup problem with open files
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 03:33:16 +0700
Nothing will properly handle backing up files currently being written
to during the backup session without inserting itself somewhere
between the OS and the disk/controller hardware.

COTS "hot imaging" programs (Symantec's (recent versions of) Ghost and
BackupExec System Recovery are examples) do this pretty reliably now,
but they create large monolithic disk image files that don't take
advantage of BackupPC's magical file deduping.

I handle this by making sure that always-on apps like Outlook (and in
your case SQL servers) store their files to the OS/apps partition -
and these get backed up separately from the regular data files, via CD
or PXE boot allowing a proper "cold" imaging backup. With decent
network bandwidth and good automation, most clients can get backed up
in a 20-30 minute session - I do this weekly, and each user knows
which day of the week they're supposed to do it - most set the session
running and get their coffee first thing in the morning.

An alternative would be having such apps storing their data on
filesystems with snapshot capabilities, e.g. LVM on a Linux server.

I realize that none of these approaches are easy or inexpensive, but
AFAIK that's the nature of the beast.

Whatever path you take, make sure to test it thoroughly with realistic
scenarios.