BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Need help with automating Windows client deployments & handling the file lock backup problem with open files

2010-12-20 12:18:50
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Need help with automating Windows client deployments & handling the file lock backup problem with open files
From: "Ryan Blake" <rblake3 AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:16:26 -0500
Hello All:

I have been using BackupPC for some time successfully with other Linux clients and have just recently began working with dreaded Windows machines.  As stated in the documentation, being able to backup locked (and open) files really hampers the whole backup process, especially for some users who simply won't listen to shutting down Outlook and closing out programs.  I currently am using the SMB method to backup several computers in a test environment.

However, after reading through the archives on this listserv and scouring the internet, I see that the rsyncd client for Windows seems to be the best alternative except that there is still the problem with locked and open files.  But, after reading more through these archives, I see that there may be a way to use shadow file copy with this client to backup open and locked files as well.

I came across this website: http://www.goodjobsucking.com/?p=62 and it seems to be rather promising but is rather confusing as-is.  I also found http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=User_Scripts_-_Client_-_Windows_VSS but I'm not sure if that solution is any better than the first.

Ultimately, I am trying to automate the update process to end-users as much as possible (which is why I used smb to start with).  I'm looking for something I can remotely install and have backup all directories, including those currently locked and also including live Microsoft SQL databases without the bandwidth cost of SMB and while backing up open files (I essentially want a backup good enough that I can use to restore the entire "system state," which includes active system files).  I know from my previous experience, I was able to successfully backup a MySQL database on Linux and restore it when the entire database was "accidentally" deleted.  I just am not too confident with Windows and how to do this properly while the DB is still running.

So, my question is: Is there a better solution to these problem that I have not found yet or are one of the solutions above my best bet?  If so, does anyone have better documentation or something easier to start from (such as a .tar or .zip with everything "configured")?

Any assistance/guidance/help would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully this will also help some other people, too.

~Ryan