BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore takes way too long and the fails

2010-09-24 08:45:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore takes way too long and the fails
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 07:43:28 -0500
On 9/24/10 2:58 AM, Marcus Hardt wrote:

>> Rsync normally creates a tmp file with a different name which is renamed
>> when complete.  Tar would just truncate and write on top of the old.
>> Both would fail on windows open files.
>
> The trouble I had restoring files happened on both OSes: Windows and Linux
> (via GRML Live-CD). My understanding is that Linux respects the NTFS
> permissions and didn't overwrite the files.

So in that case windows was not running but you were writing to the NTFS
filesystem with linux?  That should at least eliminate the open file issue.
Rsync might have a better chance than tar in this situation but I'd still
expect
problems when trying to restore windows system files with programs that don't
completely understand windows filesystem permissions.