BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore takes way too long and the fails

2010-09-24 04:00:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore takes way too long and the fails
From: Marcus Hardt <marcus AT hardt-it DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:58:48 +0200

On Thursday 23 September 2010 20:06:40 Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 9/23/2010 12:47 PM, Michael Stowe wrote:
> >> I really don't think that would work.
> >
> > It would not work, nor is it possible, since Windows can't delete files
> > that are in use.
>
> Rsync normally creates a tmp file with a different name which is renamed
> when complete.  Tar would just truncate and write on top of the old.
> Both would fail on windows open files.

The trouble I had restoring files happened on both OSes: Windows and Linux
(via GRML Live-CD). My understanding is that Linux respects the NTFS
permissions and didn't overwrite the files.

I cannot test this, as the Notebook is in use.

However, I'll try the given link and a reinstall otherwise.

Thanks for all the help, btw!

--
M.