BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore takes way too long and the fails

2010-09-14 09:24:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore takes way too long and the fails
From: Marcus Hardt <hardt AT kit DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:22:28 +0200
Update:

On Tuesday 14 September 2010 13:16:01 Marcus Hardt wrote:
> Update:
>
> tar xf restore.tar      will fail, if restore.tar is pretty big

fails

> cat restore.tar | tar x   seems to work

fails

But:
using the 'i' option for
     -i, --ignore-zeros
           ignore zeroed blocks in archive (means EOF)

makes tar wander through the archive even thought it might have detected EOF
markers (i.e. "two consecutive zero-filled records" according to the
wikipedia page of the tar format)

I observed several warnings in my cmdline:

        tar tfi restore.tar |wc -l
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
387781

I can only hope this works and helps others.

M.

--
M.