BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore takes way too long and the fails

2010-09-22 12:38:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore takes way too long and the fails
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: Marcus Hardt <marcus AT hardt-it DOT de>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:36:35 -0700
There is something *very* wrong with either the tar used to make the
archive, or the tar used to restore.  I wouldn't trust anything it
outputs at all.

What version of tar on both ends?

Have you tried getting a zip archive from the GUI instead?  Or using
BackupPC_zipCreate on the CLI?

-Robin

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 03:22:28PM +0200, Marcus Hardt wrote:
> Update:
>
> On Tuesday 14 September 2010 13:16:01 Marcus Hardt wrote:
> > Update:
> >
> > tar xf restore.tar      will fail, if restore.tar is pretty big
>
> fails
>
> > cat restore.tar | tar x   seems to work
>
> fails
>
> But:
> using the 'i' option for
>      -i, --ignore-zeros
>            ignore zeroed blocks in archive (means EOF)
>
> makes tar wander through the archive even thought it might have detected EOF
> markers (i.e. "two consecutive zero-filled records" according to the
> wikipedia page of the tar format)
>
> I observed several warnings in my cmdline:
>
>       tar tfi restore.tar |wc -l
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
> 387781
>
> I can only hope this works and helps others.
>
> M.
>

> > And I thought windows was terrible...
> >
> > M.

> > > But windows specific?  Are you sure the windows user has write access
> > > and the file isn't locked by something else having it open?

> > > There is at least the option of downloading an archive file through a
> > > browser and restoring from that.
> --
> M.

http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
Lojban (http://www.lojban.org/): The language in which "this parrot
is dead" is "ti poi spitaki cu morsi", but "this sentence is false"
is "na nei".   My personal page: http://www.digitalkingdom.org/rlp/