BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Some directory are not in the backup

2010-09-22 11:01:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Some directory are not in the backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:59:46 -0500
On 9/22/2010 4:34 AM, IvyAlice wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Using rsyncd method, I tried tu backup all the /etc directory
> On the client, in /etc/rsyncd.conf I got
> -----------------------------------
> …include from = /etc/rsyncd.backupETC.include
> -----------------------------------
>
> And in the /etc/rsyncd.backupETC.include I just have
> -----------------------------------
> /etc/***
> -----------------------------------
>
> So in my backups, I thought I see all the datas. But when I go to the
> /etc/pam.d or in the /etc/vim directory, I got no files even thought the
> files exists on the machines I backed up.
>
> So some files missing, but the log show no error, and worst, in the
> XferLOG.x.z I see the missing files
> -----------------------------------
>    create d 755       0/0        4096 etc/pam.d
>    create   644       0/0         182 etc/pam.d/atd
>    create   644       0/0         384 etc/pam.d/chfn
>    create   644       0/0         581 etc/pam.d/chsh
>    create   644       0/0         392 etc/pam.d/common-account
>    create   644       0/0         436 etc/pam.d/common-auth
>    create   644       0/0        1212 etc/pam.d/common-password
> ect..
> -----------------------------------
>
> I really don’t understand why some sub-directory are void.
>
> What can I test now ?

First, since that looks like a unix-like target, is there some reason
you don't want to use rsync over ssh instead of configuring rsyncd?

You can test if the problem is your rsyncd config by running a stock
rsync against it like:
rsync -av  host::module
(note the double :'s).  If you don't give a destination you should see a
directory listing of the files - or you can add a local target directory
to copy to.  If all you want is /etc you could just have a module with
that as the path and omit any include/excludes.