BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access

2010-05-12 09:14:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 08:12:56 -0500
Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

Something less than a dozen is a small number.  With 3, every write is going to
require every disk head to seek and you'll wait until the slowest one completes
before the next operation.

> My checks in /proc/mdstat showed nothing unusual. They've been working fine
> all the time, all three of them; ie none is failed.
>
> The backup of the linux machines here, is for the most part hundreds of
> thousands of really small files, like in the 10-100kB-range. Could this be a
> reason for slowness?

They would, but only if the heads are off seeking through them.  If backups
aren't active, the web interface doesn't have to access that much and should
still be fairly fast.  If you are competing with a running backup it would slow
down.