BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] can't load hosts summary

2010-05-12 08:50:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] can't load hosts summary
From: Dmitry Katsubo <dma_k AT mail DOT ru>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 14:49:04 +0200
Hi Sabuj!

Sabuj Pattanayek wrote on 11/05/2010 22:15:
> On one of my backuppc servers, when I click hosts summary, the browser
> just spins and spins while it tries to load the hosts summary page but
> it never completes. I can however, go to each of the hosts that are
> backed up and even browse the backups. I've tried completely turning
> off backuppc and httpd (even checked for remaining perl, backuppc, tar
> processes, e.g. ps aux | grep -i perl , ps aux | grep -i backup. etc)
> and restarting it but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas on what's causing this problem and how to get the hosts
> summary page to show up? I'm reluctant to reboot the machine because
> the disks are part of a gluster setup (note, backuppc is not running
> on gluster, but instead directly on xfs. I tried backuppc on gluster
> before and it wasn't robust enough to handle the traffic).

This might not be BackupPC problem: sometimes I get the same behaviour
with FF, when it tries to open many connections at one. I have never
experienced this with BackupPC but with Google Maps for example. On your
place I would try the following (general advice):

- Install FireBug addon [1] for FF and open network monitor tab.
- Open apache log in terminal (tail -f /var/log/apache/access.log)
- Try to open a problematic URL and see what request get stuck (static
resource? graph image?).
- Try to open this very URL separately in a new tab

If above does not bring any ideas, I take tcpdump.

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/1843

--
With best regards,
Dmitry