BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access

2010-05-12 04:04:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:02:48 +0200

For a department server, raid5 is pretty good still. Although not in this
particular solution, IMHO.

>However, there is another consideration. When your filesystem was 95% full,
>did
>you have some part of the filesystem reserved? When normally creating a
>filesystem, this is set at 5%, which means "95%" means "95% of the way to
>hitting the reserved space".

Not quite sure I follow here. The raid-array I created was set to be used by
BPC only. I didn't reserve anything on these three drives, that I'm aware.
However BPC is set to use $Conf{DfMaxUsagePct} = 95; as per default setting.
Is this what you mean?

>If you had no reserved space, and the filesystem was _actually_ at 95% full,
>that could also be a source of the problem.  I've not experienced it
>personally, but I've heard it said that ext filesystems do not deal well with
>being very close to full. Once there isn't much space left, new files become
>increasingly fragmentated, as it isn't possible to find consecutive free
>blocks
>on the disk.

The previous linux admin over here mentioned something like that. He said the
systems may become "unpredictable". It seems likely this is what I've been
seeing here all the time.
--
/Sorin