BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access

2010-05-12 09:43:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:25:59 +0200
and
>support
>Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access
>

>> What is a small number of drives? I have three identical 500GB Seagates
of the
>> SATA2 variety, all bought new late last year, so I'm assuming fairly
modern as
>> well.
>
>Something less than a dozen is a small number.  With 3, every write is
going to
>require every disk head to seek and you'll wait until the slowest one
completes
>before the next operation.

We seem to be on different scales here. ;-) My biggest array is a six-disk
Dell PE...

>> The backup of the linux machines here, is for the most part hundreds of
>> thousands of really small files, like in the 10-100kB-range. Could this
be a
>> reason for slowness?
>
>They would, but only if the heads are off seeking through them.  If backups
>aren't active, the web interface doesn't have to access that much and
should
>still be fairly fast.  If you are competing with a running backup it would
slow
>down.

So a small number of drives, having a nearly completely filled pool, huge
backups that go well into the blackout-period (when I  might want to check
and possibly restore stuff) and plenty of small files all spells (more or
less) slowness and potential disaster then?
--
/Sorin