BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access

2010-05-11 14:41:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 19:39:22 +0100
On Tuesday 11 May 2010 15:40:09 Sorin Srbu wrote:
> I think the culprit was the software raid5-array the whole time... Peaking
>  at approx 94-95% full pool since a few months back, the array was
>  stretched nearly to the max for all intents and purposes.

RAID-5, in my experience, is not fast in software or hardware.  Write
operations are still O(1), only read is improved. If you can get 4 disks, do
RAID-10.

However, there is another consideration. When your filesystem was 95% full, did
you have some part of the filesystem reserved? When normally creating a
filesystem, this is set at 5%, which means "95%" means "95% of the way to
hitting the reserved space".

If you had no reserved space, and the filesystem was _actually_ at 95% full,
that could also be a source of the problem.  I've not experienced it
personally, but I've heard it said that ext filesystems do not deal well with
being very close to full. Once there isn't much space left, new files become
increasingly fragmentated, as it isn't possible to find consecutive free blocks
on the disk.

I'm in the process of eliminating all the RAID-5 in my organization. RAID-1 or
RAID-10 both perform far better, and they don't have the "write hole" problem
(which I have personally been victim of, when a power supply failed
spectacularly).

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Standard creepiness rule: don't date under (AGE/2 + 7)."
   -- Randall Munroe, XKCD, http://xkcd.com/314/