BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble with backup of client using rsync and visudo

2010-03-22 23:36:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble with backup of client using rsync and visudo
From: "Kenneth L. Owen" <tx836519 AT bellsouth DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:34:44 -0400
Hi Luis,

Even before I got your note, I think figured out the problem.  With so
many changes since I started rebuilding the archiving server, problem
generating keys, getting keys generated and then deciding to not use
root logon, I simply forgot that I had not generated keys for backuppc
as a simple user!

I logged in as backuppc on the archiving server and created an rsa key.
This was then ssh-copy-id <client1>.  This seemed to work properly with
a note to 'ssh <client1>' to test the key.  I issued command 'ssh
<client1> and connected without a password request.  <archiver>
represents the server running the backuppc software, <client1>
represents the real client machine_name and <share1> represent the real
share_name.
----------------- backuppc ssh logon -------------------------------
backuppc@<archiver>:~$ ssh <client1>
Linux <client1> 2.6.24-27-generic #1 SMP Fri Mar 12 01:10:31 UTC 2010
i686

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.

To access official Ubuntu documentation, please visit:
http://help.ubuntu.com/
Last login: Mon Mar 22 20:31:44 2010 from archiver
backuppc@<client1>:~$
---------------- end of logon session ------------------------------

I thought that it should work now, so I requested a manual backup.  The
command seemed to be accepted and the log showed a full backup had
started.  There was a bit of activity for about a minute, then nothing.
After a few minutes with no activity, I stopped/dequeued the request.  I
am closer, but haven't gotten it all in place as yet.  I didn't get any
error until I stopped it.  It said:

2010-03-22 21:20:24 full backup started for directory /media/<share1>
2010-03-22 21:38:19 Aborting backup up after signal INT
2010-03-22 21:38:20 Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive
failed)

I am wondering about the text generated in response to the logon above.
When I logon with a password, I get the password prompt, enter password
and get the last login message.  This is the first time I've seen the
text "Linux <client1> 2.6.24-27-generic / ... cut ... /
http://help.ubutu.com/";  Could this be messing up the process?

I also have another question.  I seem to remember something being said
about the restore process and having to give a password for root to do
the restore.  I know that I have to switch the lines in sudoers as well.
Do I need to create a key for root with a strong passphrase on the
client machines and append it to authorized_keys in /var/lib/backuppc?

As soon as I get the backup working, I want to test the restore
function.  If that doesn't work, there's no sense having a backup!
Regards,  -- ken

        Luis Paulo wrote:

        > I'll focus on the message:
        > Got remote protocol 1881173838
        > Fatal error (bad version): No protocol specified
        >
        > I usually get something like
        >
        > Got remote protocol 30
        > Negotiated protocol version 28
        >
        > But I don't know what it can mean. Maybe someone else can
        help.

        That usually means something printed text to the connection
        before or instead of
        starting rsync.  Are you sure it isn't asking for a password or
        displaying the
        condescending sudo message (or a message of the day) as the
        connection starts?