BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and DRBD - My experience so far

2009-09-17 22:23:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and DRBD - My experience so far
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:50:32 -0600
> backup my hosts.
>
> If you have any questions, or feel there is anything I was not clear
> about, feel free to ask.

Thanks for your report. With that fiber link, it's no wonder you get
LAN-like results. What I'm curious about is if the IO requirements of
BackupPC would allow for an offsite replication over a typical WAN
link (say, 20-30ms round-trip).

the replication should be bandwidth intensive and not very IO intensive.  For raw bandwidth, latency is much less of a concern as the next read/write doesnt depend on the last so long as the latency doesnt exceed the available caching options.  rsync works like a champ in replication over high latency links, it just struggles with large numbers of files and gets greedy and wants large amounts of RAM.