BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Setting up a new BackupPC server

2009-09-17 22:18:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Setting up a new BackupPC server
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:47:51 -0600

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Stephen Vaughan <stephenvaughan AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
We're building a new backuppc server at the moment aswell, the box is using 8x 300gb SAS 10k drives in raid 10, the decision of whether to use raid5/6 or raid10 is difficult. At the moment raid10 with 1.1TB gives us 12-18 months before we reach our capacity, however with raid5 we have 2100gb (roughly) of storage, and with raid5 I'm fairly confident that the server will handle backing up our current storage, which is around 550-600gig, however we're a hosting provider so our storage usage is growing everyday, we could be having to backup double that amount in 12 months time, so the question is, will raid5 then be fast enough to cope with backing up that amount of data, or do we need raid10?

I'm going to test backing up our current storage on both raid5 and raid10, just as a comparison, and then we'll make the decision based on performance whether to go raid5/6 or raid10.

One thing to consider is do you really need everything on one backup server?  You could build for today and the next 12 months and then add an additional backup server then to accomodate your needs for another year or two.