BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and DRBD - My experience so far

2009-09-17 12:55:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and DRBD - My experience so far
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:48:03 +0200
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:38:10PM -0400, Ian Levesque wrote:

> > ...even though they have more than a mile of physical separation.  I
> > don't currently have good data as to the bandwidth utilization during
> > backups (the DRBD config is set to limit it to 10M, which is about
> > 110Mbit/sec with TCP overhead), but the BackupPC_nightly and
> > BackupPC_trashclean give an average 5Mbit/sec combined.  Over a 24
> > hour
> > period the servers have passed nearly 80GB of data between them (78GB
> > from the source, 2GB from the target).
> >
> > There has been no discernible effect to the amount of time it takes to
> > backup my hosts.
> >
> > If you have any questions, or feel there is anything I was not clear
> > about, feel free to ask.
>
> Thanks for your report. With that fiber link, it's no wonder you get
> LAN-like results. What I'm curious about is if the IO requirements of
> BackupPC would allow for an offsite replication over a typical WAN
> link (say, 20-30ms round-trip).

I took a look at the DRBD docs this morning and figured, there are
several replication modes including an async mode. If you combine that
with DRBD-Proxy, it should be doable over WAN with little to no
performance penalty. Of course, it depends on your particular setup.

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de