BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and DRBD - My experience so far

2009-09-17 15:15:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and DRBD - My experience so far
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:12:12 +0000
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:52:53AM -0800, Chris Robertson wrote:
> Ian Levesque wrote:
> > Thanks for your report. With that fiber link, it's no wonder you get
> > LAN-like results. What I'm curious about is if the IO requirements of
> > BackupPC would allow for an offsite replication over a typical WAN
> > link (say, 20-30ms round-trip).
>
> The future plan is to put the replication server in Seattle, WA (about
> 30ms round trip as the bits fly).  If I find some time int he next week
> or so, I'll see about setting up a FreeBSD box with a dummynet bridge to
> test the effect of latency and packet loss on my replication.

Have you seen:

  http://wanem.sourceforge.net/

It's basically a bootable CD that can be used to emulate a
wan. Various packet loss, rtt settings can be simulated. Basically
boot and run. I have used iut for testing performance of a web
application over lossy networks. It works well for me and means I can
use any random box I have easily since I can return to normal state
just by booting the box without the live cd in the drive.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111