BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and DRBD - My experience so far

2009-09-16 20:10:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and DRBD - My experience so far
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:06:51 -0600
>Read it again.  :o)  Both the external XFS journal (logdev=/dev/drbd1)
>AND the data partition (/dev/drbd0) are DRBD mirrored.  It would be
>silly to have only one or the other saved in a DR scenario.
ok, i see it.

That seems dangerous for a long-distance connection.  I wonder if there
is any way to 'snapshot' at points where you know you are in sync to a
2nd remote copy or alternate updates between two so one would always be
in a known-good state?

This is interesting.  The online-checksum based sync is something I did not know existed.  This should let you have a long distance link and only have to transfer block-level changes.  You still need to read the whole disk but a block-by-block read on a modern raid array should get you well over 100MB/s and likely much more.  That could give you a full sync of a TB in hours instead of weeks over a WAN link.

async mode should also help you keep the remote device fairly up-to-date as well.

I had looked at drdb long ago and have not considered if for other things for a long time.  I am currently using iscsi to share some volumes on a gfs cluster, looks like drdb is a much more performant option.

nice.