BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] XP rsync SLOW and fails

2009-09-04 10:45:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] XP rsync SLOW and fails
From: Jim Leonard <trixter AT oldskool DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 09:34:02 -0500
Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 04:45:48PM -0400, brianbe2 wrote:
>
>> I dunno what happened but the full backup completed in 3 hours and 6
>> minutes. 26598.5 MB according to the log. It should run incrementals
>> for the next 29 days and back to a full backup on the thirtieth day.
>
> I would do far more full backups - they're not that expensive with
> BackupPC. How did you configure your incrementals? Do you have
> incremental levels configured? If yes, how? They might cause your
> difficulties - if you had 29 incremental levels, the server would have
> to traverse a whopping 28 backups on the 29th day!

I have a similar setup only because rsync implementation on Windows is
pretty terrible.  cygwin 1.7 beta branch is better, as are some other
alternate builds discussed on this list, but an rsync full backup of 2T
took five days, and worse, it affected performance of the machine while
it was in progress.  So I have a very long full schedule as well.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter AT oldskool DOT org)            http://www.oldskool.org/