BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] XP rsync SLOW and fails

2009-09-03 18:46:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] XP rsync SLOW and fails
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:41:03 -0500
You're missing something, I believe.

Using rsync, only the *first* backup actually transfers every file --
every other file will avoid transferring files that are duplicates.  It
may be worthwhile to review the backup times in your logs.

Since incrementals go back to the last full, it wouldn't surprise me if an
incremental backup against a 29-day-old full could actually be slower than
a full backup.  Some experimentation here demonstrated that the optimal
full backup period is actually about a week, and after about 10 days, the
incrementals took as long or longer than full backups.

Again, this is rsync; smb is quite different.