BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] XP rsync SLOW and fails

2009-09-03 16:50:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] XP rsync SLOW and fails
From: brianbe2 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:45:48 -0400
Welp,
I'm not REALLY sure what I did, but I had all of half an hour to tinker with
the bosses laptop. I tried newer matching versions of rsync and cygwin1 as
taken from other packages mentioned previously and tried them on the stock
c:\rsyncd folder distribution. They didn't work too well as the rsyncd.conf
needed altering from:
[cDrive]
    path = c:
    comment = Entire Drive
to:
path = /cygdrive/c/

I ended up returning back to original files when it wouldn't start properly or
backup failed for one reason or another. I simply didn't have the luxury of
time to document all the versions of rsync.exe and cygwin1.dll. One pair came
from Delta Copy though, another from the goodjobsucking.com site.

I dunno what happened but the full backup completed in 3 hours and 6 minutes.
26598.5 MB according to the log. It should run incrementals for the next 29
days and back to a full backup on the thirtieth day.

I am convinced that the VSS rysnc method described by Michael is the way to go.
Just need time to dink with it a bit and test on another laptop before porting
it to the bosses  [Wink]

Thanks guys for your input and sharing your resolutions to this annoying
problem with windows and rsync.

Sincerely,
Brian