BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools

2009-09-02 16:23:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 14:18:41 -0600
Can I offer an alternative solution?  How about using bittorrent?

if you patch the btmakemeta and download.py files as show here:
http://osdir.com/ml/network.bit-torrent.general/2003-12/msg00356.html

(stop backuppc, unmount filesystem)
you can create a torrent of your block device
btmakemeta /dev/md0 tracker_url --target md0.torrent
then run it
btdownloadcurses md0.torrent --saveas /dev/md0

you can patch the download.py on the second machine and download that torrent with the target being the block device.
now make sure backuppc is stopped and then unmount the filesystem
btdownloadcurses md0.torrent --saveas /dev/md0

bittorrent will take some time creating the torrent file as it has to scan every block.  Now, the first run may take a long time because they were never block-for-block backups which means that it will have to write every block.  each run after than should be pretty quick though.

I would also suggest unmounting the filesystem, running fsck and then remounting it once on the original machine so that you dont propogate any errors.

You can use the seed% setting to close the downloaded after 1 complete seeding and then remount the filesystem and start backups.  same on the second machine, put it to seed 0 so bittorrent closes immediately and then remount the filesystem.  with scp and ssh keys or ftp or something you can automate the whole process if you really like.

2009/9/2 Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
Les Mikesell wrote:

> a VMware .vmx image file using the options to pre-allocate the space and
> segment into chunks as an intermediate that would be directly usable by
> a vmware guest.
There is a solution for VMware vSphere (ESX/VC 4.0) which would be
perfect. VMware Data Recovery claims to backup a virtual Disk- but after
a first full backup only the changed blocks to NFS or wherever you like.

I haven't tested it for myself, but as far as I can see this is what we
all want. Just the disadvantage to buy the VMware vSphere and VDR
products....and your backuppc needs to be virtual (is here anyways....).

> I'm glad to hear that the rsync logistics would be practical.
I'd prefer this, too and I'm waiting for some feedback. If I can get
some time I'll try it for myself soon.

Greetings

Christian