BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools

2009-09-02 14:24:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:20:13 +0200
Les Mikesell wrote:

> a VMware .vmx image file using the options to pre-allocate the space and
> segment into chunks as an intermediate that would be directly usable by
> a vmware guest.
There is a solution for VMware vSphere (ESX/VC 4.0) which would be
perfect. VMware Data Recovery claims to backup a virtual Disk- but after
a first full backup only the changed blocks to NFS or wherever you like.

I haven't tested it for myself, but as far as I can see this is what we
all want. Just the disadvantage to buy the VMware vSphere and VDR
products....and your backuppc needs to be virtual (is here anyways....).

> I'm glad to hear that the rsync logistics would be practical.
I'd prefer this, too and I'm waiting for some feedback. If I can get
some time I'll try it for myself soon.

Greetings

Christian