BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools

2009-09-09 05:50:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:46:41 +0200
Hi Christian,

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:33:03AM +0200, Christian Völker wrote:

> First, my environment:
> 28 hosts to back up. Mostly idle machines with minor services (so no big
> databases and so on). Partially fileserver with only little daily
> changes. So I expected not too much daily changes on the pool.
> I want to copy the pool to a remote location after testing is done.
>
> So I used an USB 2.0 disk as "second backup device" to store the copied
> pool.

I'd say: Replace that USB 2.0 disk by something else like something
connected via Firewire or eSATA. USB 2.0 is very, very slow, especially
for random access.

> The pool itself is aprox 540GB in total. And is not growing any more-
> even not all 12 full backups are stored.
>
> My first attempt was rsync the pool. This tooks ages.
> Second attempt was to "dd" the whole device (with less frequency), but
> for the size of the pool, took ages, too.
> Third try was to use "dump" for this hoping it would transfer only
> changed blocks after the initial dump. No way. After one day it
> transferred 300GB (!). I thought, dump might not bee a good solution...
> Last attempt now was to move the pool device to a VMware virtual disk
> and let rsync run over this file. Thus rsync backing up the block
> device. Best attepmt, I thought. Result: rsync transfers after the first
> run  ~300GB, too.

Do you want to try DRBD and see how that works? Might be a more complex
setup though..

> So what does this mean to me?
>
> Looks like on my pool BackupPC changes approx two third of the whole
> pool daily. So if I would transfer to a remote site I'd need to transfer
> 300GB daily!

That sounds far too much for a 540 GB pool. Did you try again the next
day?

But there is currently no out-of-the-box or best practice to transfer a
BackupPC pool to a remote location.

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de