BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools

2009-09-03 12:39:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 11:35:50 -0500
Pieter Wuille wrote:

>>> You're very right, and i thought about it too. Instead of using a RAID1 on
>>> the offsite backup, there are two separate backups on the offsite machine,
>>> and synchronisation switches between them. This also enables the use of
>>> rsync's --inplace option.
>> That should be safe enough, but doesn't that mean you xfer each set of
>> changes twice since the alternate would be older?
>
> That's correct, but it hardly seems to matter. Due to a problem the offsite
> machine was down once for over two weeks, and the subsequent synchronisation
> run still only took 14h. The limiting factor is the sequential read speed of
> the device, not the network.

Your network between sites must be exceptionally fast - that's probably
not a typical situation.

>>> Catting the part files together to a device after transmission isn't a
>>> complete solution: what if the machine crashes during the catting...?
>> The machine crash would have to destroy the filesystem containing the
>> chunks to be a real problem.  And then I wouldn't expect both your
>> primary server and the server holding the file chunks to die at the same
>> time, but it would mean you'd have to xfer the whole mess again.
>> Perhaps you could alternate the catting to 2 different devices so you'd
>> always have one ready to whisk off to the restore location.
>
> Yes, i was wrong. A crash during the catting would normally not hurt the
> files that already were transmitted. As long as you don't start transferring
> the next set during the catting of the previous, there is no problem.

Maybe it doesn't matter if your network is as fast as your disks, but I
like the idea of ending up with a disk you can ship overnight or toss in
a briefcase and take to your disaster recovery location and start
restoring immediately.