BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?

2009-08-17 20:46:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:42:42 +1000

Holger Parplies wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I don't seem to find as much time for posting on this list lately as
I'd like
> to. Since that won't change for at least two weeks, I'll write a few short
> comments now. Please excuse me for being a bit terse about it and only
> providing some keywords. I hope others will follow up with more
information.

> Let's start with this thread (but it applies to others as well).
>
> Angus Scott-Fleming wrote on 2009-08-17 12:57:14 -0700 [Re:
[BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?]:

>>> rsync -H doesn't work for you?
>
> I fully agree that it doesn't scale, but the point is valid that it *could*
> work for you now. The only way to see if it does is to try it out.
>
>> From earlier discussions on the list:
>>
>>   Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backup machine
>>     "Note that using -H to reconstruct hardlinks only works for links
among
>>     the files traversed during a single rsync run."

http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg04386.html

>> Doesn't seem like that would work correctly for repeated 'rsync -H'
runs ...

> The point is that rsync needs to see the full BackupPC pool during one run.
> You can't split it up into seperate syncs of pool/, cpool/, pc/host1/,
> pc/host2/ and so on.

What about syncing pool, cpool and pc/host1 in the first run, then
pool, cpool and pc/host2 in the second run, and so on.

This way you do the whole pool plus one pc subdirectory.
Doing this on a regular basis, you might also be able to do just the
"new" pc/host1/backupnum directories together with pool + cpool...

Possibly removing/expiring the backups on your replica at some point...
>  rsync updates of the pool *should* work, provided they
> again get to see the whole system in one pass. "Should work" as in "I
haven't
> heard definite success stories including verification of the copy, and
I have
> some doubts".
I guess it depends on the activity of the source. If it isn't
changing, then rsync (if it succeeds) should get an exact replica.
Perhaps stopping backuppc, or using a snapshot would solve it.

Regards,
Adam