BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?

2009-08-17 22:42:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?
From: "Clint Alexander" <clint AT cdalexander DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:12:22 -0400
> that's because you've got an extraneous parameter (<pass>), which probably
> evaluates to 'true'.

Ahhh -- I read the instructions incorrectly (or too fast -- same thing).
Thanks!

> Yes. But I agree with Les that it doesn't hurt to fall back to automatic
> scheduling when your cron jobs fail for some reason. Unless your
> requirements
> say "no backup is better than backups that are not synchronous".

With these 4 particular servers, if it's not done within the same hour then
any backup would be a waste of space. They are clustered data partitions and
the data backups must match. Each run their own backup every hour and
backuppc simply takes the last 2 off each server nightly in case of some
total disaster, but they all have to run between the same hour.

> How do you think the CGI requests are implemented? ;-)
Hah. I know this, but what I did not know is in what way the code checked
(or if it even checked) how the script was started. I didn't know if there
was a flag that simply looked to see {if executed via the web interface;
then run; else ignore}.

> You ran the cron job(s) as backuppc user, right? Did you get any mail with
> any
> output? Have you got syslog entries showing that the jobs were actually
> run?
This was user-error. It *should* run as expected tonight.