BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?

2009-08-17 21:26:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Clint Alexander <clint AT cdalexander DOT net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 03:23:54 +0200
Hi,

Clint Alexander wrote on 2009-08-17 09:10:20 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Feature Requests and such?]:
> [...]
> I tested the idea of using Cron for incrementals:
>
> I used 0 for incremental, but for some strange reason -- it wanted to
> perform a full backup even though the last backup done yesterday was a full
> (go figure).

that's because you've got an extraneous parameter (<pass>), which probably
evaluates to 'true'.

> But the real question is: If I want to run these 4 backups from Cron, I
> should turn the BackupsDisabled to 1, right?

Yes. But I agree with Les that it doesn't hurt to fall back to automatic
scheduling when your cron jobs fail for some reason. Unless your requirements
say "no backup is better than backups that are not synchronous".

> The documentation says it will allow any CGI requests, but it doesn't say
> anything about commands at the console.

How do you think the CGI requests are implemented? ;-)

> I ask because I had BackupsDisabled
> set to 1 on these 4 servers and none of them had run last night from Cron.

You ran the cron job(s) as backuppc user, right? Did you get any mail with any
output? Have you got syslog entries showing that the jobs were actually run?

Regards,
Holger