BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?

2009-08-17 16:02:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?
From: "Angus Scott-Fleming" <backuppc AT geoapps DOT com>
To: "BackupPC list" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:57:14 -0700
On 16 Aug 2009 at 14:11, Michael 'Moose' Dinn  wrote:

> > another unit offsite.  The extensive use of hardlinks prevents
> > rsync from being the right solution here.
>
> rsync -H doesn't work for you?

>>From earlier discussions on the list:

  Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backup machine
    "Note that using -H to reconstruct hardlinks only works for links among
    the files traversed during a single rsync run."
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg04386.html

Doesn't seem like that would work correctly for repeated 'rsync -H' runs ...

Also:
------- Included Stuff Follows -------
Re: [BackupPC-users] Hard links & encryption

    "It is generally believed on this list (I believe) that it's not feasible
    to use something as 'high-level' as rsync to replicate BackupPC's pool.
    The amount of memory needed by rsync will just explode because of all the
    hardlinks. ..."

--------- Included Stuff Ends ---------
Found here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg08933.html

Further messages in this thread indicate it won't work on large backup sets,
such as those you might get backing up a small company's 15-30 computers:

    "It will work up to some limit on filenames and hardlinks that backuppc
    archives are likely to exceed. There are 2 issues - there is a fixed
    memory overhead per filename that is handled in a single run and the
    mechanism to match up the linked files doesn't scale well. "
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg08943.html

    "If I'm reading that correctly, that's only about 10GB of data. I once
    tryed syncing 100GB of backuppc pool data from one disk to another, on the
    same machine, with the machine having 512MB RAM and 2GB swap; and after a
    day or so, the machine ran itself out of memory and swap, making it
    necessary to power-cycle it. I then did the copy with dd; and it only took
    a few hours. If you have lots of RAM and little data; it will work. it's
    not a general-purpose scaleable solution tho. "
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg08946.html

See also this thread from December:
    [BackupPC-users] Advice on creating duplicate backup server
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg12503.html

and this one from February:
    [BackupPC-users] how to backup the backuppc server (off site)
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg13359.html

--
Angus S-F // GeoApps