BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?

2009-08-16 13:10:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?
From: "Clint Alexander" <clint AT cdalexander DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:40:44 -0400
> That would be fairly hard to predict if you have more than a few machines
> because it will be your concurrency limit that keeps backups from
> starting - and
> you'd need to know how long the previous backups will take to know when
> the next
> can start.

This is something that can be computed automagically by BackupPC to estimate
(albiet not exact).

> You can see from the host summary page how long it has been since the last
> run,
> so if you are on an approximately daily schedule you can tell when the
> next will
> be considered and run if not blocked by the concurrency limit or the
> blackout
> schedule.  If you need more precise scheduling, you can use a cron job
> using
> BackupPC_serverMesg to start specific machines - but you'll also need to
> make
> sure that there are not too many other jobs running at the time.

Right, I could follow a trend that would be based off of current
configuration -- but so could BackupPC. My issue really revolves around the
changing of the configuration in which it should tell (based on previous
thesholds, run times, # of files, etc) an approximate date/time.

Even if the BackupPC reads: "With the current configuration, BackupPC will
attempt to backup the server @ yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm. This can be affected by #
of concurrent, <other limitations and factors>..."

If it's a matter of any mathmatical computation -- BackupPC can do this
automatically with the understanding that it is an estimate based on
previous tends (if any).

Right?

//Clint