BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Advice on offsite strategy using external drives

2009-07-22 11:23:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Advice on offsite strategy using external drives
From: tog benson <tog_benson AT yahoo DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:17:50 -0700 (PDT)
This may be a little long-winded, but I need some input.

In the past I've used external drives to keep a rotation of offsite backups.
One drive would be offsite while the other was receiving dumps of data.  I used
an archive host to dump tar_gzip files of all my data.

This system worked great with the exception that dumping massive tgz files was
a long process and the process in general required plenty of human interaction.

Someone recommended that I try putting the root backuppc folder (including the
"conf", "pool", "cpool" and "pc" etc. folders) on the external drive and let
the nightly backups dump right onto the external.  Then the second external
driver (also configured with the coreect backuppc root) could be mounted in the
same location on the filesystem, requireing less human interaction.

I love the notion of this system.  I can simply replace the drives from time to
time and the data will be dumped right onto the drives.  I just have to make
sure that the configs, etc. are kept consistent.

What concerns me is the format of the folders and files "int he backuppc system"

In the cpool the file names are all hashes.  When there are rwgular files,
there's the prefix added by backuppc.  In short, my data is munged; recovery
requires a working backuppc install.

The nice thing about tgz dumps was that my data was dumped in a format that was
easily used.

Does anyone else do it this way?  Should I not be terribly concerned about the
munging?