BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Advice on offsite strategy using external drives

2009-07-22 11:38:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Advice on offsite strategy using external drives
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:33:55 -0500
On 07/22 08:17 , tog benson wrote:
> In the past I've used external drives to keep a rotation of offsite
> backups.  One drive would be offsite while the other was receiving dumps
> of data.  I used an archive host to dump tar_gzip files of all my data.

This is the way I do it at one location. I have a directory called
/var/lib/backuppc/dump, and tgz archives of all the hosts get dumped there
by virtue of a custom script. The script also handles the mounting and
unmounting of an external drive.

So someone (an unskilled office worker) swaps the drive once a week after
they get an e-mail of a successful backup. They then take the drive with the
new data and remove it offsite.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator