BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Advice on offsite strategy using external drives

2009-07-22 12:06:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Advice on offsite strategy using external drives
From: Admiral Beotch <AdmiralBeotch AT hackerish DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:01:21 -0700
I just found this gem:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/backuppc.htm

The simplest way to handle off-site backup is to use BackupPC's archive host feature to produce tar archives, and to then copy these archives to removable media.

BackupPC is configured to create tar archives by creating a new host with it's XferMethod set to archive.
The archive host will now appear within the web-based interface along with all your other hosts, except that instead of allowing you to start backups this host's interface will allow you to create archives of your other hosts.

Archives you create in this way will contain the most recent backup of a host, not a full set of historical backups.

Once the archive process has completed the tar archive can then be copied to removal media of one of the types suggested below, and then taken off site.

Archives can be created automatically using a cron job.

I plan on giving this a shot, writing these host tar files to a truecrypt volume on a portable drive.

--
https://ssd.eff.org
http://www.vlrc.org/articles/160.html