BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-23 15:14:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Leen Besselink <leen AT consolejunky DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:09:42 +0200
[cut]
> That's it, in the log file i see during restore :

Hi Alex,

> connect from UKNOWN x.X.X.X &#40;ip adress&#41;
> receiving file list
> Using VSS Volume &#58; \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\....shadowcopy1
> Error -2147212521 on line 85! &#40;problem writing on vss i think&#41;
> Error -2147024809 on line 100! &#40;again&#41;
> Using VSS volume &#58; &#40;null&#41;
> sent 277 bytes received 156 bytes total size 82
>
> So, this seem to show that it try to use VSS for restoration, but it can't
> write on it, so it get the "null", and finally write to drive. But this error
> may cause the chmod not to be executed.
>
> So, if there a way to disable VSS on file receive, that could do the trick !
> So VSS may start only when reading datas happen.
>
> Hope these informations help.

The first versions I put on my website are all 'development-quality code'
created to be able to
handle read-only daemon-like operations and is still hardcoded to always use
VSS, I'm still
working on getting it stable enough just to handle that one task.

Thus read-only daemon usage is the only usage-pattern I've tested or used at
this point,
everything else might be broken at any point in time. And probably will be.

One of the things that needs to be done to make daemon mode work correctly is
to make it configurable.

When that is done, it automatically means by default it's off and after that I
can start
looking at the client version.

So for everything else you just need to be patient or help me with the code. My
intention is to make
all those things work, but rsync isn't code I'm very familair with and the
VSS-code came from Elias.

Which means it's also not mine, so a large part of what I'm doing is trying to
understand what is
handled how and where.

I hope that answers your questions.