BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] restores keep failing

2009-06-14 21:23:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] restores keep failing
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:19:50 -0400
Chris Baker wrote at about 18:19:13 -0500 on Sunday, June 14, 2009:
 > You are correct. I do need to provide more information. It was rude not to.
 >
 > My backups are smb. I am restoring to a Windows server. The old server
 > failed. I am restoring from Thursday night's backup.
 >
 > 3) Consider restoring to a local USB HDD, and then transport the USB HDD
 > to the remote machine and copy across. The sneaker net really can be
 > quite fast sometimes....
 >
 > This is a good idea. I have a 750 USB GB drive that is just waiting to be
 > used. Sneakernet is certainly acceptable. In many cases, it is faster and
 > more trustworthy. Please give more details on how to do this? I have not
 > installed cpan, but I can.
 >
 > I will restoring onto Windows. Thus, my USB drive needs to be readable by
 > both Linux and Windows. I have mounted USB drives like this before,  using
 > Fuse and so on.

I assume you realize that Backuppc has some limitations in backing up
and restoring a full Windows implementation, including:
- Backuppc does not handle Windows ACLs. There might be other low
  level NTFS information that also is not backed up properly (like
  junctions).
- Unless you use something like Shadow copy, backuppc will not back up
  certain core active files like the registry

If you are just backing up data, you should be OK other than the fact
that the ACL information might not be properly restored.