BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 17:25:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Skip Guenter <skip AT skipsjunk DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 16:20:00 -0500
I don't know if this is a factor or not, but an implementation like this
sounds like it would cause a (perhaps very) small portion of the
BackupPC user base would go by the wayside.  I'm talking about the folks
who have a full time job that doesn't include "SysAdmin" but are trying
to keep a small office like environment backed up with minimal hardware
and skills.

If the target user base is large scale implementations then, obviously
this isn't a factor.  If BackupPC, as a package, is intended to address
a wide range of implementation sizes then I think this must factor in.

This list seems dominated by SysAdmin types and that's understandable
and makes for a great source of knowledge.  However, I can't help but
wonder how many little shmucks like me are out there happily using (or
getting ready to use) this package in sub 40 or even sub 20 machine
environments.  I don't think ya'll hear from them much.

Skip