BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 16:30:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Peter Walter <pwalter AT itlsys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 16:26:39 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote:

> Somehow I don't see how having to install, tune, and maintain an
> otherwise unneeded database fits into the concept of abstracting away
> functionality.  You have to live with filesystems anyway so you might as
> well learn how to manage them.

Les has been a strong advocate for his position. However, backuppc as it
is currently designed does not meet my need to remotely backup all kinds
of  computers, including other backuppc servers. I think the
enhancements Jeffrey Kosowsky and I have outlined in this discussion
would solve my problem, as well as a number of other problems, would
significantly extend the functionality of backuppc, and also make it
compatible with other platforms. I am therefore going to take this
discussion over to the backuppc-devel and ask Craig what he and others
over there think. Hopefully, I can sucker a perl developer to start
coding it as an add-on to the current development release.

Peter