BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 17:47:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Max Hetrick <maxhetrick AT verizon DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:43:29 -0400
Skip Guenter wrote:
> I don't know if this is a factor or not, but an implementation like this
> sounds like it would cause a (perhaps very) small portion of the
> BackupPC user base would go by the wayside.  I'm talking about the folks
> who have a full time job that doesn't include "SysAdmin" but are trying
> to keep a small office like environment backed up with minimal hardware
> and skills.
>
> If the target user base is large scale implementations then, obviously
> this isn't a factor.  If BackupPC, as a package, is intended to address
> a wide range of implementation sizes then I think this must factor in.
>
> This list seems dominated by SysAdmin types and that's understandable
> and makes for a great source of knowledge.  However, I can't help but
> wonder how many little shmucks like me are out there happily using (or
> getting ready to use) this package in sub 40 or even sub 20 machine
> environments.  I don't think ya'll hear from them much.

I have to agree here. I came to BackupPC to replace an rsnapshot server
we had doing backups. It was a pieced together system with custom
scripts and all the things that make for failing backups. BackupPC
persuaded me because of the ease of setup, and lack out complication for
setting up new hosts, etc. The compression was a wonderful bonus as
well, but not really the point. I liked it so much that I wrote a guide
for installing it on CentOS, which is published on their wiki.

At any rate, I backup about 21 hosts and 500 Gb of data. I bet the
majority of people using it are like me. I consider myself a pretty
knowledgeable person overall using Linux, and have been using
RHEL/CentOS for about 6 or 7 years now. It's my job at my company, plus
I write technical articles online for a publication, but I am by no
means a filesystem and database guru.

I think that anything to make the program better is welcome, but at what
cost? If complexity is added where people now have to have knowledgeable
people available in the database world, or in the filesystem world that
  BackupPC is running on, then what advantage does that bring.

For my applications, BackupPC works wonderful exactly the way it is. I'm
not running enterprise grade stuff here though, so my opinion is of the
little guy type. Everyone's situation is different, though. Just my
thoughts, which might not mean much. It's just that the more I read the
thread, the more it seems that the typical BackupPC user isn't chiming
in. :)

Regards,
Max