BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 15:45:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:36:24 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

>  >
>  > There's only a small difference in scale here (and it's not obvious
>  > which direction) between rsync'ing a raw database file and rsync'ing an
>  > image copy of a filesystem.  There's probably not much of a practical
>  > difference.
>
> Except that I have a lot of other stuff on my filesystem so I don't
> want to image the whole filesystem.

That just takes some sensible planning...

> I just want to image the
> backups. Also, not all filesystems support efficient methods for
> imaging a partially filled filesystem.

Why is it that you are concerned about efficiency here, but not in your
mythical database system?

> Again, you are assuming a tight
> integration between the functionality and setup of the filesystem and
> the backup software whereas I want to abstract away any such
> requirements as much as possible even at the expense of some extra
> overhead.

Somehow I don't see how having to install, tune, and maintain an
otherwise unneeded database fits into the concept of abstracting away
functionality.  You have to live with filesystems anyway so you might as
well learn how to manage them.