BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-03-26 14:08:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:01:07 -0500
David Williams wrote:
> Les,
>
> I believe that under the Mandriva package we are allowed to change the
> TopDir and it is in the config.pl file.

That's not likely. When you install from source, the configuration
process modifies the code, embedding this location elsewhere.  If you
don't re-run that process it won't be right.

> When I originally started Backuppc
> it was complaining that it could not create a hardlink under
> /backups/pc/XXXX and /backups/cpool.  It wasn't looking at
> /var/lib/backuppc.  Even with version 3.0 I had TopDir set to /backups and
> backups were being created under /backups.

The test in 3.1 was added to catch this kind of mistake.

> Perhaps it has been 'failing', but I had valid backups that I have restored
> from.  Whether it was wasting space I don't know, perhaps it was.  Also,
> even though I cannot currently do backups I can restore from existing
> backups and the restore is coming from /backups.  Based upon that I would
> say that the Mandriva package allows the change of the TopDir.

If pooling had ever worked you should have a large tree of files with
long hash codes for names under the pool or cpool directory.  Does 'ls
-lR' or 'find' show them?   Backups are stored under the appropriate pc
directories in any case, but the pooling that eliminates duplicate
copies can only work when the hardlinks succeed.  If you do have pooled
files (and ls -l should show link counts > 1), then there must be
something different about the mount options on the new system.