BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-03-26 23:29:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: Les Stott <les AT cyberpro.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:21:17 +1100
Les Mikesell wrote:
David Williams wrote:

When I originally started Backuppc
it was complaining that it could not create a hardlink under
/backups/pc/XXXX and /backups/cpool.  It wasn't looking at
/var/lib/backuppc.  Even with version 3.0 I had TopDir set to /backups and
backups were being created under /backups.

The test in 3.1 was added to catch this kind of mistake.

Yes, i found this way back in December 2007, see here....

http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net/msg08103.html

but no one ever replied to my post.

In short yes, the hardlink test is a good thing, but to me it seems it gets done too early.

In the old 3.0.0 you could just format a usb drive as ext3 and plug it in on the same mount point and backuppc would start, create pc, cpool, pool and trash directories and carry on.
Now in 3.1.0 it does the hardlink check before creating any directories and becuase the hardlink check is done on subdirectories it fails.

I would absolutely love it if the top level directories were still created by backuppc first before doing the hardlink test. If those directories are created because they dont exist and the hardlink test fails then just remove the directories. Or leave them there, all you've done is create a few directories.

Or how about just making some temp directories as part of the hardlink test underneath the $Topdir? That would be the same as trying to create hard links under TopDir/pc/xxxx etc.

Regards,

Les Stott