BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-03-26 12:58:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:53:00 +0100
Hi David,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:02:16PM -0400, David Williams wrote:
> I'm not sure what the filesystem is.  I suspect it is NTFS.  I guess
> whatever these drives come as.
>
> I did try what Tino suggested and this is what happened:
>
> [root@dtwconsulting backups]# echo hello > testfile
> [root@dtwconsulting backups]# ln testfile linkedfile
> ln: creating hard link `linkedfile' => `testfile': No such file or directory
>
> So yes, does look like there is a problem.
>
> I have checked my previous backups and don't see any errors though, and I
> was able to restore some of the files !
>
> Is there a way that I can reformat this drive to ext3 ?  Is it even possible
> to format the drive from linux when it is mounted as cifs ?

Not directly since you use the drive as a NAS, therefore you access it
via some network protocol. Does it support NFS? If so, try using that
and perform the above test.

A not-so-nice solution would be to create an x GB file and format that
with whatever unix filesystem you like.

It would work roughly like this (for a 10 GB volume):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/backups/backuppc-volume bs=1M count=10240

mke2fs -m 1 -j /backups/backuppc-volume

mount -o loop,noatima,nodiratime /backups/backuppc-volume /var/lib/backuppc

If you run out of space on the volume later, you may resize it by
growing the file first (be careful!), then resizing the file system.

I suppose, performance is not an issue for you - it may be pretty
slow...

I wonder how you managed to do backups the first time, though... you
only upgraded your server? Then there must have been a way to create
links or BackupPC would have complained a lot.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de